I have seen several blogs where they did a follow up to their hospital bag post and talked about what they ended up using and what they wish they had brought. I found a lot of value in those posts and wanted to do the same.
Now that it is all said and done, I would still bring everything I did below.
I will make this easy and say that we used most of the items below and I still recommend bringing all of them and plan to do so the next time.
1. Two types of pacifiers – Although we tried both (Soothie and Avent) he didn’t take to either.
2. Hand Sanitizer – I had forgotten we had this in our bag but when I remembered, we started using it quite a bit.
3. Socks – P was swaddled most of the time but we used these when he was in his outfits and on the way home.
4. Mittens – These are a MUST!
5. Outfits – We put him in all of the outfits
6. Hats – These are also a MUST. The hospital ones are functional but not really pretty 🙂
7. Security Blanket – While not a necessity, I still liked having it around for P. Reality is he is just now starting to interact with it at 10 weeks. It was more for pictures than functionality.
8. A&A Blanket – We used the hospital blankets mostly but had
9. Bibs – We used these because the nurses had me supplement with liquid formula while I was there because I was having some BF issues. The liquid formula stains pretty bad.
10. Burp Cloths – We used the hospital ones.
The Boppy (#1) was essential after P was born. I was able to rest him on it in my bed and the chair. It was especially helpful since I had a c-section. The breast pads and lanolin (#2-4) I didn’t use until a few days after I got home and my milk came in. I still think it’s an important thing to have on hand in the hospital just in case. Since I had a c-section, I didn’t need the witch hazel (#5) but know other mothers swore by it.
One of the things I wish I had purchased/brought with me was a nice hospital gown. I had talked about it in a previous post and a few people responded that I wouldn’t want to pay the money since it would get ruined during labor. I wish I had gotten one or two for the days/nights I was in the hospital recovering. We had a few people come visit and I wanted to look decent but it was painful to get dressed and hard to BF P easily. This would be a happy medium and make me feel a little more human. This is something I will be purchasing for next time!
I also forgot my prenatal vitamins and cranberry pills. I wish I had brought them because I went a few days with out taking them.
My biggest words of wisdom are to take EVERYTHING you can from the hospital. My Mom insisted that we take everything, even though I didn’t think we needed it. We use the wash basin to soak any cloths P stains upstairs after we change him instead of walking down and up two flights of stairs. We used the remainder of his wipes and diapers since he was too small for his cloth diapers when we got home. We used the large pads they gave me on his changing table which saved quite a few washes. I continued to use the squirt bottle, smaller pads and mesh undies till my incision healed a little more. Nothing went to waste!