DIY Paint Holder

I have been a busy little worker bee in my craft room. I don’t know if it was pregnancy hormones but I had about enough of an unorganized craft room and made it my top priority in February-March. I never really took the time to get it organized so I never felt calm when working on something or blogging. We attempted to paint ourselves which ended in a disaster. I decided to have the company who painted the rest of our house come and they were able to get it done in only a few hours. Now I have been spending nap times sorting through ALL of my supplies in the guest room and coming up with some pretty awesome storage solutions. 
I will be sharing a tour of the completed project soon but in the meantime, I just had to share a DIY solution Rob and I came up with for my acrylic paints. I now have limited table space so my previous holder, while amazing, wasn’t going to cut it. I needed to get them up out of the way. 

I love when I can take things I no longer have a purpose for and reuse them to help organize or decorate. It saves money, limits unnecessary waste and gives me a sense of accomplishment. I also like the quiet time it gives Rob and I to work on something together.

Like many others, I was quite obsessed with Wire Cube Shelving Systems from Target for awhile.

Unfortunately, they didn’t last long and ended up in boxes in our garage. Luckily, I was able to use one of them for this project!

Grid Panel $1.20  |  Shelf Liner $10.99  |  Nylon Clamps $1.00  |  Birch Plywood $4.58

You only need a small piece of the shelf liner, will have 4 extra Nylon Clamps and left of Birch Plywood so this specific project will run you under $10 especially if you already have an extra Grid Panel lying around from one of the cube systems.

We also used 4 – 1 inch screws and 8 – 1/2 inch screws.

Rob used his jigsaw to cut a 14×14 square out of 1/4 thick birch board.

Since I am a perfectionist, we used the rotary tool to make sure the edges met right up against the metal grid. This little guy was a lot of fun to use and really simple. It took half the time traditional sandpaper would have and we were able to get really close to our desired edge.

I debated whether I wanted to paint or cover the backboard. I decided to use some of the contact paper I have stored away from my measuring cup project. I liked the idea of a patterned background and the pop of pink against our freshly painted Spa Pool colored walls.

While I was covering the backboard, Rob used his mitre saw to cut 4 in pegs using left over 1×1 scrap wood.

Apparently he isn’t as good at measuring than he thinks he is 😉 Luckily he also has a belt sander that evened those up right away!
We put the grate back on and I held each peg while Rob secured them from the bottom using his cordless drill and 1 inch screws.

Once they were all in place we marked the grate to sit 1.5 inches from the back. Using Nylon Clamps and 1/2 inch screws we we secured the grate in place. We then placed the second grate about 2 inches from the first and secured them in the same fashion.  

In case anyone was curious, the bottles marked with a “g” are paints specific for glass. It was an easy way to keep them identified from the others.

Rob used a wall anchor to secure it to the wall so it is extremely sturdy and secure.

Overall, this project was cheap and very simple. We completed the project from start to finish in about an hour. It was a lot of fun and Rob and I really enjoyed the time together. Getting my paints up and off the table space has been great. They are still visible and very accessible. I also like that it can only hold 60 paints so I am forced to keep the buying under control and use them before they go bad.  


  1. Adelina Priddis March 24, 2014 at 7:21 pm

    Oooo that is so cool!! I’m pinning this to remember for when I have craft space again.

  2. Alyssa Molina March 25, 2014 at 1:44 pm

    This is so perfect! I have a bunch of paint that is just thrown around in my craft box! Definitely need to make this!

Leave a Reply