Parker’s Second Year Reflection

As my toddler kissed me good bye this morning and walked hand in hand with his Daddy, I realized my little baby boy is growing up. Yesterday he turned two and while that is just a number, it has become obvious how independent he is becoming. This past year has been absolutely amazing filled with ups, down and a few unexpected surprises.

Rob left for deployment a few weeks after Parker turned one. At the time, Parker wasn’t walking yet, still taking bottles in the morning and at night, and only saying a few words. While Rob was gone Parker and I really had to learn how to do things on our own. We spent a lot of time playing with friends and Parker even started going to a daycare a few hours a week. It took a few tries to find the right one but he LOVES his friends now. It was exactly what I needed to have a little “me” time during the week and get things done that aren’t conducive to having a little one around. For the most part that was doctor appointments, errands and an occasional movie. I also had the entire house painted and all of the hardware replaced while he was gone. Rob was so surprised at how much Parker had grown both physically and developmentally while he was gone. The biggest surprise was when Parker started walking the day after he returned.

About 3 weeks after Rob returned, we found out we would be a family of four before the end of the year. While this came as a surprise, is was a welcomed one!

We took our first family vacation to Disney in January. Uncle Tim and Aunt Sarah came along which made the experience even more fun. Parker did amazing on the trip and just went with the flow which included napping everyday in the stroller. We met a ton of characters, ate a lot of yummy food and even went on e few rides.

Parker also experienced a lot of firsts this past year. Unfortunately not all of them were happy ones. In February Parker took a tumble down the stairs (full story here) when one of our baby gates became loose. It was really our fault as we were improperly using one at the time. It definitely took a toll on Rob and I although it really didn’t seem to phase Parker much. It took a little adjustment to getting the cast on and off and by little I mean about 30 seconds.

Rob’s second deployment was much harder on all of us. Parker seemed to really understand his Daddy was gone. We talked on the phone and iPad as much as possible and Parker learned quickly that if Mommy was on either, there was a good chance it was Daddy.

I had a wonderful Mother’s Day and my little man even took me out to breakfast. We spent the day together playing which is what the day is all about for me. He even made this adorable painting at daycare!

We took a well deserved mini vacation to Ocean City, MD when Rob got back with my parents. The weather was beautiful and Parker loved the sand and waves. We also took the opportunity to put together a fun gender reveal for friends and family.

The last few weeks have been spent getting the house in order to move Parker to his big boy room complete with toddler bed and airplane decor. Then we can get started on the nursery and hopefully have a few weeks before baby girl gets here to enjoy the “quiet” life of a family of three. 
Although we didn’t do full on photo shoots for his second year, I still had fun making chalkboard updates with a few of his accomplishments each month.







  1. Sarah August 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm

    Where did you get the digital chalkboard?? I can’t find the software anywhere.

    1. Mary August 8, 2014 at 4:15 pm

      Hi Sarah, That is a custom print I did in Photoshop. If you are interested in one you can take a look at the listing in my Etsy Shop, designsBYmcm!

Leave a Reply