Going GREEN, one project at a time!
When we found out that I was pregnant, one of the things I put on my to-do list was to purge are rediculous amounts of cleaning supplies and condence them into a few multipurpose products.
If you don’t believe me, here is a picture of all of the bottles of collected!
Now that I have had a little more time on my hands (yeah right), I have been scowering the internet for recipes for houshold cleaning supplies made from simple ingrediants. The products most commonly used were Borax, Washing Soda, salt and vinegar. See, isn’t this nicer?
I used a recipe found over at Lady With The Red Rocker to make the soap and then followed some of Home For Three’s directions to make the actual pods. I quickly learned that it is a little harder than it looks and ended up doing it my own way.
The recipe called for
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 cup salt
You also need a
Wax or parchment paper
Mold that will fit your detergent dispencer (optional)
I decided to double the recipe and since we have hard water, I used 12 oz of Lemishine. The easy part was mixing all of the ingrediants together! One thing that I didn’t do was cover my kitchen table before I started. I highly recommend doing this for easier clean up.
The next step is where I vered a little off of what Momma M did at Home For Three. My measuring spoon wasn’t really cutting it as a mold so my genious Mom told me to mold bigger shapes and then cut them. First I sprayed the water in the spritz bottle over the detergent to moisten it up. You want the detergent to be the same consistency as sand. I then collected about a fist full of detergent and started molding it on the cookie sheet to about the size of a deck of cards. After about 5 minutes or so I cut the mold into sections that will fit our detergent compartment.
I know the first rule of blogging is to include large, high quality clean pictures. However, that would give you the false impression that this is a clean project. I can assure you, it is not! It gets quite messy when you add water to the detergent and form the pods. If your like me though, getting a little messy makes it that much more fun!
Once they hardened, I placed them in a Tupperware container to keep moisture out.
We did our first load and the dishes came out great! I am so happy I finally got around to this project and am thankful my Mom was able to keep P occupied so I could get my hands a little dirty and the house a little clean!