We spent the weekend entertaining guests, painting pumpkins, attending parties, and eating more candy than we thought possible.
We decided to continue supporting the Teal Pumpkin Project and offered a variety of non food treats for the kids. This was our stash from Walmart which was divided between a Halloween event and then our trick-or-treaters. I decided against the bubbles (pictured left) because they had no markings on them and they were a little shady looking. Well done Walmart, well done.
I gathered up some decorations around the house to dress up the front porch a little for the kiddos.
My parents and Rob took the kids around the block with our neighbor who is in Parker’s class. I found Caity’s costume on clearance last year and just knew she would make the cutest little Care Bear 🙂 Parker picked his outfit out at Costco, mainly for the whistle.
I whipped up a shirt supporting my all time favorite movie, Hocus Pocus, and paired it with LLR bat leggings.
Hope everyone has a fun filled evening with thrills, laughs, and lots of sugar.
Since I am in love with my Cricut, I decided to change this project up a little and use it instead of the computer. I had a few cartridges I was just waiting to use including the Speaking Of Fall, Stretch Your Imagination and Simply Charmed. Since I am using the Cricut, this projects requires a little more preparation to make sure all of the words fit on the page once they are cut out.
I also decided that I wanted to make this a permanent fixture in our home and create one for every season. I would keep them all in the frame and just bring the current season to the front. Since this is going to be permanent, I decided to go with an 18×24 frame. This allows me to use more of the font options because the letters are larger than if I used a smaller frame.
First, I made a list of words that reminded me of Fall.
Next, I sketched out the words in my sketchbook to get an idea of what size the different words would be. I scaled down the 18×24 frame so it would fit in my sketchbook and still be accurate.
Then the tough part, deciding on paper! I went through all of my stash and choose a few colors and patterns that I liked. You want to use paper with smaller patterns so they will still show up in the smaller words. I also chose most solid colors with a few patterns to balance the final product.
I used the Cricut Design Studio to help me size the words I wanted to use. I love this program because you have so much more flexibility with the shape of the words you use. It can also save paper because you map out on the screen and it cuts it exactly. Additionally, if you want to use different cartridges but the same paper, you can do it all at once which saves time. This is by far my favorite feature!
Before starting to cut, I put the frame back together with out the glass. This allowed me to place all of the letter on the page with out any of them being hidden behind the frame. There is nothing I hate more than finishing a project and then realizing part are cut off once framed! I also checked my lines every once in awhile to make sure I was gluing words on straight.
This type of project is kind of like a puzzle. While you spend a great deal of time prepping and deciding the size and location of all the pieces, you sometimes have to be flexible and make a few changes. I ended up moving some words around and cutting out a few. No biggs!
I am pretty excited about the end result and can’t wait to work on the Winter one, is a month or so!