What does the slang word yarn mean?
‘having a yarn’ meaning
Completely unrelated to string or twine. It means to have a chat, a discussion, generally very informal. Often had among friends, neighbours, associates. Example: I ran into old Suze down the shops, we had a good yarn, she told me all about how her boys have moved away now.
What does yarn mean in literature?
1. ( Textiles) a continuous twisted strand of natural or synthetic fibres, used in weaving, knitting, etc. 2. ( Literary & Literary Critical Terms) informal a long and often involved story or account, usually telling of incredible or fantastic events. 3.
What is yarn simple language?
Yarn is a long, continuous length of fibers that have been spun or felted together. Yarn is used to make cloth or different wearable accessories including shoes, hats, scarfs, etc. by knitting, crocheting or weaving. Yarn is sold in a shape called a skein to prevent the yarn from becoming tangled or knotted.
Why is a story called a yarn?
Seaman often had to spend time repairing rope onboard ship. … While repairing rope, sailors would often tell each other stories to while away the time. Over time, these stories came to be known as yarns, and telling the story came to be known as spinning a yarn.
Is yarn a Scrabble word?
Yes, yarns is in the scrabble dictionary.
What is the plural form of yarn?
(jɑːʳn ) Word forms: plural yarns.
What is an example of a yarn in literature?
An example of yarn is the material used for weaving a blanket. An example of a yarn is a tale about a great journey up a mountain.
How do you use yarn in a sentence?
tell or spin a yarn.
- Craft Resources also sells yarn and embroidery floss.
- The yarn is woven into a coarse fabric.
- I stopped to have a yarn with him.
- Mother used to spin her own yarn.
- She still spins the yarn and knits sweaters for her family.
- She stopped to have a yarn with me.
What is the synonym of yarn?
ˈjɑːrn) A fine cord of twisted fibers (of cotton or silk or wool or nylon etc.) used in sewing and weaving. Antonyms. disarrange nonmetallic unweave dislike untie stay in place wake. suture pile woof metallic floss.